The story I’m about to tell isn’t coming from Hadley “SmashFly’s communications person,” but rather Hadley “the passive candidate” that SmashFly successfully converted in 2016.
Last January, a job description for a communications leadership position at SmashFly popped up in my inbox from a job alert email. I had never seen anything like this job description before – I remember thinking, “Wow, what’s SmashFly?! It looks like a cool company that seems to really value the communications role!” I was on the verge of starting a new job search so I saved it, along with several other jobs (none of which the job descriptions compared), thinking I’d revisit after finding time to update my resume. But then life got in the way – I went on vacation, then spent a hectic week away at a trade show. (You know how it goes.)
Fast forward to late February 2016 when I received a call from a SmashFly recruiter, listened to what she had to say about the role, company and culture – our conversation reflected the same spirit of that initial job description I saw, so I thought, “OK, I’ll go on a first date! I mean, interview.”
SmashFly and I talked about our past, present and future – including all the great things we could accomplish together in our partnership. We inspired and challenged one another. Throughout the entire “courtship” – my research and the application and interview process – communication was timely, and we always knew where we stood. I talked to and met with all levels of the SmashFly family, which reflected SmashFly’s inclusive and collaborative culture.
After going through an extensive interview process (which I wanted as much as SmashFly did), what caught my eye initially about the company and the role very much seemed to be true. Here I am a year later – ten months into an incredibly rewarding and fun position at a company that sells unique software that I believe in, and with a culture that fits who I am personally and professionally.
When was the last time you saw a job description that really got you fired up and made you feel like you could be part of something special? Well, here are just a few excerpts from the comms role description that made me catch feelings for SmashFly:
- SmashFly was named a Best Place to Work by the Boston Business Journal in 2015 AND 2016, and our CEO and company maintain a five-star / 100% Glassdoor rating.
- Buzz. Influence. Those words get you excited. You’re a senior communications leader ready to bring your 15+ years of experience in communications strategy and PR, analyst and influencer relations in HCM to one of the fastest-growing HR tech start-ups.
- You’re ready to join a fresh, bold team that’s transforming the way companies recruit.
- All the key media, analysts and influencers in HR tech know you, like you and most importantly, trust you.
- Your integrity, intellect and vision make you a credible spokesperson.
- You are a strong presenter and communicator who can win support for big ideas from peers and Leadership.
- You have several years of management experience, and as the company grows, you can hire and develop an amazing team.
- Our Marketing team is high performing, high energy and highly collaborative.
- Our teambuilding revolves around laughter and food—and we celebrate each other’s successes along the way.
- Every person has an opportunity to contribute ideas, make them happen and learn a ton along the way. You’ll be given responsibility to run with, but more importantly trusted with.
Call me old-fashioned, but it felt nice to be courted – and for me it all began with the job description. SmashFly, you had me at “hello…”